Thursday, March 5, 2009

All Dogs Go To Heaven

I painted a neighbor's dog named "Peanut". She often visited our house and on occassion would come inside for a treat. She was a shy dog who always had that "is it really OK to be here?" look whenever she'd come to visit and play with my pointer sisters.

We were invited to visit our neighbors on Monday and I was planning on taking my painting as a surprise gift. And then just before we visited, I received a phone call saying that Peanut passed that day. She was hit by a car presumeably but no one ever stopped to say they had. They found her badly hurt, rushed Peanut to the vet but it was too late to save her. Yesterday I received a note from the little boy to whom Peanut belonged thanking me for the painting. I'm sure Peanut is in heaven as I do believe, all dogs go to heaven.


11 comments:

Archie and Melissa said...

oh judy
what a beautiful painting. i am teary writing this. you are an angel, especially to this family.
they will cherish your painting.

what a wonderful gift. i am so sorry for their loss of their beloved peanut.

xo
melissa

nancy said...

Such a sad story. Such a beautiful painting, soulful eyes....

Gwen Bell said...

Love Peanut! Great color palette and expression.

Gwen Bell said...

Oh NO! I posted my first comment too quickly without reading your sad news about Peanut. How tragic...but how wonderful that she inspired you to do the painting and capture her sweet personality. I know her owners are so appreciative.

Unknown said...

Aaaah... Peanut is beautiful. You're such a sweetheart for doing this. It's so hard for a family to lose their beloved friend that way. hugs!

JudyMackeyart said...

Hi Melissa, Nancy, Gwen, Sheila,
Pets do leave little footprint in our hearts don't they? Thank goodness for them.
Thank you for your comments!
Judy

Carol Horzempa said...

What a sad story but what a wonderful gift for the family in mourning of their beloved pet. You really captured Peanut's soulful eyes.

Manon said...

The painting of Peanut is beautiful the story of her death is tragic! It makes me want to cry! I'm sure the family will find her painting will be cherished!

MANPOLO said...

beautiful. thanks.

Art with Liz said...

There is absolutely no question about it - all dogs do go to heaven! In dear Peanut, you have portrayed a beautiful little dog.

Edward Burton said...

It's a very beautiful and very sweet portrait of Peanut, Judy. I know they will always treasure your painting.